Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Review in Brief – Our rating is 3 out of 5 stars. It is a one time watch but not a memorable romance film. Read on further to know what worked for Ae Dil hai Muskil and what went against the film.
Karan Johar’s Ae Dil hai Mushkil is an emotional roller coaster ride but believe me if you are Bollywood fan then you have suffer such rides every Friday with popcorns. Ae Dil hai Mushkil is not bad in fact the first half was brilliant and it actually raised my expectations from the film. I was literally enjoying the Bollywood references and the witty chemistry between Ranbir and Anushka. It was the second half that ruined the film for me.
Ayaan (Ranbir Kapoor) is a ‘private-jet’ rich guy (we never get to see his Jet, nor his wealth is justified in the film). Alizee (Anushka Sharma) is a ‘raees’ girl who was in relationship with DJ Ali (Fawad Khan).After a bitter heartbreak from Ali, Alizee meet Ayan in london. They two get acquainted and make out at a party. But Later on Alizee realize that Ayaan is not the one. But she doesn’t let him go either. So this starts a complicated Friendship like Love and Love like friendship relationship. There is a heartbreak, a breakup song, then lust and finally patch up. But the patch up is not a happy one and the climax actually makes you sad.
The plus point of ADHM are actually also its negative points. How? Let me explain –
PLUS POINTS OF AE DIL HAI MUSHKIL –
1. Casting – Karan johar chose the perfect actors for his love story. He wanted a guy who can be charming [email protected] and then can act as a serious lover. Ranbir Kapoor nailed it. He wanted a girl who is modern and bold with a strong-willed personality. Anushka Sharma justified this role. But KJo’s real talent in choosing the right actors came in the casting of Aishwarya rai, LISA HAYDON, Fawad Khan, Imran Abbas and Shahrukh Khan. Karan wanted an actress who can be cute and seductive at the same time and above all she can act. Who could have done this better than Aishwarya? Fawad Khan and Imran Abbas (yes there are two Pakistani actors actually) filled in the shoes of glamour.
2. LISA HAYDON – This girl deserve praise. Although her role was minor but she totally nailed it. Usually I find Lisa haydon to be loud and annoying but this single role changed my mind about her.
3. Chemistry between Ranbir Kapoor and Anushka Sharma – These two makes the perfect ultra-modern couple. They fight, they lie, they cheat and they are way too much confused about their relationship.
4. Dialogues – Karan johar really worked on the screenplay of the film. Instead of just feeding lines to his actors he wrote good and impressive dialogues that actually makes the film a good watch.
5. Aishwarya Rai – I wish so much that there was more of Aishwarya Rai Bachchan in ADHM. Although she is the poster girl of ADHM but her role is trimmed to just few minutes in the film. But in such short span Aishwarya stuns you with her beauty and charm. Her expressions were amazing. This is her h0ttest avatar in my opinion.
6. Music – You know it. You already have been listening to ADHM songs since its music launch. One of the best soundtracks in this decade.
NEGATIVE POINTS OF ADHM –
1. Same Old Concept – We have seen it in Kuch Kuch hota hai. We have seen it in Rockstar. We have seen it in Student of the year. We have seen it in Jab tak hai Jaan. How many times we are going to watch the same old love triangle, love-friendship-love and tragic ending? Yes there is a thin line between love and friendship. Salman khan already taught us in 1989 that a boy and a girl cannot be friends. We have already seen in Rockstar that heartbreaks can somehow awaken your inner musical talent and makes you a living rock legend. Sadly Bollywood will continue to serve such repetitive love stories.
2. Casting – Yes I praised Karan johar’s choice of actors for the particular roles. But then again we have already seen these actors play the same role again and again. To be very honest, we want a change. Ranbir Kapoor made a comeback with this film but he was repeating his ‘Rockstar’ act. We have already seen his [email protected] changed to serious lover act in almost 90% of his films. Anushka sharma has played the same ultra-modern girl role since Band Baja Baarat. We have seen her playing quirky and witty girl character in BBB,PK, Jab tak hai Jaan, Matru ki Bijlee ka Mandola, Ladies Vs Ricky Behl and Dil Dhadakne do. Why she choose roles where she is stuck in a love triangle with her beau? She actually won millions of hearts from her performance in NH10, PK and Sultan. You will be impressed from work in ADHM as well but then again we feel it like a continuity of her previous acts.
3. Climax – Since the first scene we knew where the story was heading to. Anyone can predict from the first scene itself that it is Ranbir and Anushka’s story and they are meant to be together. It was predictable from the trailer itself that Aishwarya’s role will be nothing more than a lustful partner. We knew Ranbir and Anushka would understand the true meaning of their relationship and then will leave happily ever after. But why Did KJo pulled a ‘Kal ho naa ho’ with it? After all the drama and heartbreaks we deserved a happy ending. It’s a festive season after all and we deserve a feel good film. Then why Karan johar decided to put a tragic twist in it? It will make you cry or at least depress for sure but we wished for a better ending.
4. Aishwarya Rai – Ranbir was unable to woo Anushka even after trying all his tricks in the first half but miraculously the boy charmed a lady (Aishwarya rai) as beautiful as ‘Noorjahan’ with no effort at all. Seriously, He called her after 3 months and the first line that Aishwarya said to him was that she was waiting for his phone call from past 3 months. Seriously, you want me to believe that a lady as beautiful as Aishwarya was waiting for 3 long months for a phone call from a sobbing stranger that she met on a plane. Saba (Aishwarya rai) can get any guy in the whole world and 3 months are way too long Karan. Saba was shown as an open minded woman so this means that she will not wait for 3 long months for a sobbing guy. Aishwarya was way too beautiful for this role. It is hard to digest that Saba was still with Ayan even after knowing that he is using her just to make Alizee jealous.
5. Duration – The first half of the film is brilliant. In fact it reminded me of several dialogue-driven romantic films such as ‘Before sunrise’. But it was the second half that turned into a sob story and did not justified the theme of the film. First of all it was too long. The film could have been 120 minutes at most.
Ae Dil hai Mushkil is a good one time watch. But this film will soon be lost in hundreds of romantic films that are going to release in next few Fridays. Seriously Bollywood you need to stop focusing on Romance.